This article walks through enabling the Klaviyo and Maropost app and syncing your Maropost newsletter subscribers to a list in Klaviyo. It explains how to perform initial setup steps and provides troubleshooting information. Monitoring historical data sync is explained so you can analyse the data that is being sent to your Klaviyo account.
Enable the Klaviyo and Maropost App
There are two ways to get started with the app:
- Add the Klaviyo and Maropost app from within the Maropost add-on store.
- Install the Klaviyo and Maropost app by following this link and following instructions.
By following one of the 2 methods above you will automatically have a free Channelup account created. This is required to manage your Klaviyo and Maropost app. You will be emailed a link to set up a password for your Channelup account. The password is not required when accessing the app from Maropost or through the link above.
The app is not available on the Channelup free plan as it is not listed as a public app.
The following instructions cover setting up the connection once you have logged into the Klaviyo and Maropost app.
From the home screen you will be presented with the following left menu
1. In left menu click Account. Once in this page you will see your account information that you can edit if required. Scroll to the Billing section and click Add Payment Method.
On the pop up enter your credit card details and click save. This payment method will now be saved against your account through our payment provider (we do not have access to your card details). If you wish to change to a new payment method but already have subscribed to a paid plan you can add a second card and remove the first card.
After successfully adding a payment method go to Available Subscriptions section and click subscribe button on the Klaviyo and Maropost plan.
2. Now go to left menu and click Klaviyo. On this page you can connect your Klaviyo account or multiple accounts. On right side of page click Connect Account. The next page will require you to set a name for this connection - you may call it Klaviyo. When adding more than one Klaviyo account you can enter unique names to differentiate them. You will need to enter Klaviyo API keys and click save. If your details are verified successfully the account will be added. If you receive an error please double check your API keys.
3. The last step is found on the Schedule page. On this page you select:
- Maropost store - you can only have one Maropost store connected and this is selected by default.
- Klaviyo account - select from dropdown which Klaviyo account you would like to use.
- Klaviyo list - if you would like all your customers who have opted in for newsletters to be added to a list please select from the dropdown. If you do not select a list, Maropost customers will not be automatically added to any Klaviyo list. If you are migrating from another marketing platform please ensure you have updated your customer Newsletter opt in field in Maropost to match your current platform.
Once you are happy with your selection please click the confirm button. After you confirm you will be able to switch on the data transfer by clicking start. You may stop the batch processes at anytime by clicking Pause.
Sync Your Newsletter Subscribers From Maropost
When you connect your Klaviyo account with your Maropost store, one of the properties synced from your store is whether each customer accepts newsletters or not. The property can be either true or false.
To learn more about how the newsletter property is managed by Maropost, view their documentation.
Channelup syncs the newsletter property from Klaviyo to Maropost and checks for existing users in Klaviyo who have unsubscribed already. It's important to note that Maropost's newsletter property does not reflect whether someone is or isn't subscribed to a Klaviyo newsletter list. As such, there are a few situations which can cause someone to have Maropost newsletter set to false, but they're still subscribed to your Klaviyo newsletter:
- If a customer checks out and decides not to accept email marketing at that time, but later subscribes through a Klaviyo signup form, they'll still be added to your newsletter list. We do not update Maropost customers with this new status and it won't be overwritten by Maropost customer import.
- If a customer checks out and does accept email marketing, they'll be added to your newsletter list. If they check out again, they'll probably decide to not subscribe again since they're already subscribed. Depending on your checkout configuration, Maropost might see this as not accepting marketing (Newsletter = false.) You probably don't want to treat this customer as an unsubscribe. The customer will stay on the newsletter list but have the profile in Klaviyo updated to Accepts Marketing = False.
Klaviyo will not automatically sync historical subscribers to a list. If you need to add historical subscribers to your newsletter list, you'll need to do so manually. Be sure to check out the Klaviyo article on importing subscribers to an existing list. This also applies if you are moving from a different marketing platform. You may have customers who are still set as newsletter subscribed in Maropost but have subsequently unsubscribed from your current marketing platform. When you sync Maropost data these customers will be added to your newsletter list. You can perform a bulk suppress update in Klaviyo using an unsubscribed list from another marketing platform.
Monitoring the Historical Data Sync
When you first switch on the app, Channelup will begin your complete historical data sync. Depending on how many orders, customers and products your store has, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several days to sync all of your data.
Once this historical sync is complete, new data will sync to Klaviyo based on your schedule settings.
To confirm data of initial sync, click on the Metrics tab in the sidebar. Find the Placed Order metric and change the date range of the graph to see which dates have been fully synced. If you want to verify for yourself that all data from Maropost is synced, you can cross check the total orders for a few days or a week. Before you start validating, make sure your account's timezone matches the settings in Maropost.
Klaviyo limits the number of unique metrics you can create to 200. When you approach this threshold, you will be alerted via a warning in your account, along with an email to the account owner.